1. What is a job? Why do people have jobs?
We choose jobs because of what we like/don't like to do.
Shared things we like and don't like to do at home and at school.
2. Talked about different jobs that grown ups have.
Read Bernstein Bears on the Job and talked about the jobs in the book.
They drew a picture of them doing a job they might want to have some day.
3. Talked about how different jobs require different tools
Read and discussed Busy People
Played a Curious George On the Job guessing game on the smartboard: http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/games/on_the_job/
1. Reviewed what jobs are and why jobs are important.
What are strengths and interests? How can they help people choose a job someday?
Read People in Your Neighborhood and for each job identified things the person might be good at or interested in.
2. Introduced Career Paths (6 categories to help people narrow down which jobs they might be interested in doing someday)
Talked about school jobs and the skills and responsibilities of people in those jobs.
3. Reviewed school jobs, skills, and responsibilities.
Played a career guessing game: One student told the skills and responsibilities of a job at Fairview and the other students tried to guess what job they were talking about
1. We are on a journey from birth to our future career! We listed things we have learned so far in life.
Reviewed the 6 career paths and connected the things they have learned so far to the different paths.
2. Talked about why community jobs are important.
Talked about how we can decide what job to do by our interests.
Read When Poppy and Max Grow Up and discussed how her interests led her to possible jobs.
Filled out a "I am interested in..." worksheet with interests and a possible job
3. Review jobs, paths, and how interests help us choose jobs.
We played a guessing game: one student would tell the path, skills, and responsibilities of a community job and the other students would guess.